During 2008 Tralee Town Council’s Water Services Crew replaced and upgraded 750 metres of ageing water main which were causing problems with delivery and reliability. The upgrading works have resulted in an improved network which meets the demand arising from increased development within the town area.
The main projects undertaken during the year were:
• 150mm diameter water main at Caherslee from Mounthawk to Parc na Dun
• 200mm diameter water main at the Tannery Carpark
• 150mm diameter water main in Castlecountess and a section of 150mm diameter water main in Ballyard.
In addition a number of existing service connections were replaced from the water main to the property boundary, with new boundary boxes capable of being retrofitted with a meter being installed. These works were undertaken in a number of roads in the Oakpark Area and at Caherina Cottages.
• 16 new water connections provided.
• 100 leaks or mains bursts repaired.
• Ten new bulk meters and four new pressure reduction valves installed at various locations throughout the Town.
• Five existing pressure reduction valves were replaced and upgraded.
The above projects and works have led to improvements in quality, delivery and reliability within the network and a reduction in leakage, which in turn has resulted in a 6% saving in water usage for the Town compared to that for 2007.